Thursday, May 26, 2011

Fiji layover - Delayed Post

I had a lovely day in Fiji on my layover on the way to Samoa. I walked around the market, and a store owner invited me to his shop for a kava drinking ceremony which is a root that is ground and traditionally drunk in Fiji (it is also used in the US and as a natural treatment and known as kava kava). It involved clapping and chanting and drinking the kava out of coconut shells. Then I took a bus to the Wailoaloa beach. I hung out at the beach, had lunch and learned how to paddle board! Next step, learn how to surf. The people here in Fiji are very friendly and I'm glad I got to spend a day here! I am flying to Samoa this evening, and I will actually go back in time one day because Fiji and Samoa are on opposite sides of the international date line. It is Tuesday in Fiji but when I arrive in Samoa it will be Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment