Monday, May 30, 2011

Settling in...

Malo (hello),

I am settling in well in Samoa and trying to learn and practice as many Samoan words as possible. The phrase I use the most is fa'afetai lava, which means thank you very much.

I have learned several interesting cultural tidbits this week. In Samoa, pastors are one of the most respected individuals. This means that others count it as a blessing to serve the pastors. They often have their food and drinks made and served to them, and their houses cleaned.
Samoans are very religious and every evening there is a time for family devotion. To make sure you are doing your devotions people in the villages even patrol the streets for that time to make sure no one is out. I have been praying that the Samoan people will know the grace and freedom of the Lord, and see past man's rules. Today I went to a church that has several services, including one in English. 19 people led worship at the same time, singing and playing insturments. In Samoa, you take off your shoes before entering someone's fale (house) so it didn't surprise me that many people worshipped barefoot.

A few days ago we went into "town" which is Apia, the capitol. I got to walk along the sea wall and enjoy the ocean. We went and ate an American lunch because if people go out to eat here they do not eat Samoan food.
I learned that it is rude to eat or drink while walking and when in town or on the bus, it is inappropriate to talk loudly. I was also a bit of a spectacle in town because it is small enough that most people are used to Emily, but not to me. Speaking of the bus, whether it comes (or not) depends on the current bus driver. We have been playing a guessing game as to when the bus might come, and then sometimes we go somewhere and then the bus doesn't come to take us back.

Yesterday we went to the river higher up the mountain that has huge "sliding rocks". We had fun jumping off and sliding down the rocks that are like small waterfalls or natural water slides.

I have been preparing my survey for my research this week and I am hoping look at a link between eye problems and cooking over the open fire and umu (with lava rocks). It is also interesting that the men here seem to do a lot of the cooking outdoors, not the women like in many other developing countries.

Things to pray for: that I get IRB approval for my research through my university in the next couple days and that my migraine gets better.

No comments:

Post a Comment