Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Being a pharmacist

So, the other day I got to be a pharmacist. I find this pretty amusing. In a one of the villages, the government built a small clinic, but no doctors would take the post. So, when Project HOPE's doctor volunteered to run a clinic twice a week there, they all but gave her the building. I went this week to help the staff physician and two visiting nurse practitioners. When we got there, the physician said, here are the medicines, they are not in order. So I commenced to organize the medicines and fill the prescriptions that the patients brought out from the exam rooms (many of them in spanish). Luckily, I had some assistance from one of the nurse practitioners in figuring out what some of the medications were and a translator that made instruction labels for me. Just a reminder of how you make due with what you have when you're in the developing world.

No comments:

Post a Comment