Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Goodbye to Adelia Blanco

Today we finished surveying in the barrio we have been working in, Adelia Blanco. I am somewhat sad to leave because most people recognize us and many of the children know me (and hug me). There is one 4 year-old boy (see below) who every day without fail will yell at me what I assume amounts to “na na na boo-boo, you can’t catch me!” Whenever I turn around suddenly and reach my arms out pretending to “get” him, he screams hysterically and runs away. Yesterday when he started yelling at me I just took off running after him down the street and I thought he would pee his pants when I grabbed him and picked him up.

We have had several run-ins with scary dogs in the last few days. I found myself wishing more than once that I had just shelled out the money for a rabies shot before leaving the US. There are numerous stray and pet dogs in the barrio but only rarely will you see a cat. Nicaraguans believe that cats eat your soul while you are sleeping.
Now that we are finished surveying, I will get to work with the physician on staff, Dr. Melba. I will be helping her with clinic in a couple of nearby villages and be going to pregnant mother and abstinence classes (not with the same women, LOL).

1 comment:

  1. He is too cute!!
    Enjoy the rest of the journey.
    You know, it wouldn't be all bad if the pregnant mother and abstinence classes were combined to some extent. LOL
    Are you going to be teaching any of the classes?

    ReplyDelete